Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) Now Active
Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
What is the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)?
LIHWAP helps low-income households by providing financial assistance to water utility providers for eligible
households whose water utility services (drinking water or wastewater) are disconnected or past due.
What services are provided through LIHWAP?
The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) provides the following assistance:
• Priority Assistance: One-time payment, per federal fiscal year (October 1 through September 30), up to $2,500 is
made for eligible households to water utility providers to restore water utility services or eliminate past due balances
(arrearages) for water utility services. Payments may include the standard charges and fees included in the household
water bill, deposits, standard reconnection fees, penalty fees, etc. LIHWAP funds cannot be utilized for equipment
repair or replacement costs.
Who is eligible to receive LIHWAP?
To qualify for LIHWAP, a household must: Household Size 150% FPL
• Have income at or below 150% of the federal poverty level (FPL); 1 $19,320.00
• Meet the LIHWAP citizenship and residency requirements; 2 $26,130.00
• Be responsible for water utility services; 3 $32,940.00
• Have disconnected water utility services or a past due balance 4 $39,750.00
for water utility services with a provider that has an agreement 5 $46,560.00
with DHHS; and,
• Not be otherwise disqualified or ineligible.
How do I get LIHWAP Assistance?
If the household has an active or pending Economic Assistance (EA) case, the household may request LIHWAP without
submitting a new application. If the household does not have an active or pending EA case, the household must submit an
agency-approved application for LIHWAP.
Individuals can request or apply for LIHWAP:
• On-line at https://dhhs-access-neb-menu.ne.gov/start/?tl=en;
• In-person at a DHHS Office https://dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/Public-Assistance-Offices.aspx; or,
• By calling ACCESSNebraska at the number below:
o Lincoln: (402) 323-3900;
o Omaha: (402) 595-1258; or,
o All other Nebraska communities: Toll-free: (800) 383-4278
*LIHWAP in Nebraska is solely funded with federal funds. A total of $5,988,839 in LIHWAP federal funds are available for
the federal fiscal year 2022.